Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Power

        This weekend we had the sheer joy of having the power go out, for thirteen hours. According to Southern California Edison web page they strive to have 99.98% availability of power. That means they can have 1.75 hours a year of outages which they have blown this year. If they have no more outages then they will be at 99.85%. More importantly, my life without electricity is very boring. At one point I was sitting on my normal place on the couch where I normally watch TV except for the fact the room was completely dark. The surprising thing was how many things I do around the house require electricity and how lost I was with out it. We could hear our neighbor run a generator so I guess I’m not the only one with issues when there is no power. This event did make me decide to look into different ways of suppling the house with power but much to my dismay generators are still really expensive and it appears solar still has ways to go before it is really viable.

1 comment:

Sith Snoopy said...

There's nothing like being woken up in the night to hear the fan (providing air and pleasant white noise for sleeping) DIE, and the damned UPS's start beeping plaintively for an hour before they fully die.

SCE sucks.