Thursday, June 7, 2007

Testing new version of MacJournal

        Due to my bug reports over the past few days, I now get to try out beta version of MacJournal. This is very exciting as this version should also copy labels given to posts in MJ to blogger. If all goes as plan (and that feature has been implemented in this version), this post should show up as having the label of “Software”. The problem with testing out this software to see about the long posts getting cut off is I don’t typically write long blog posts so while last night was a fluke, tonight it is just going to some forced rambling much like being on a forced march in the military. I should note that while I called what happen a bug and reported to MJ it could also be bloggers fault and the actual MJ software could be working great. I don’t want to blame MJ if it is really a google issue.

        Wow, second paragraph time.....This is where things get kind of weird as I am actually done for the night but need to write 21 more lines of text. I guess I could will add some more random thoughts on software. I have recently found or discovered some really cool software that I can’t wait to try out (in some cases I knew about the software just never got around to looking at it.) There is also some software that I really need but can’t seem to find and I might actually have to dust off some coding skills and write it myself. The problem with most of this cool software is it doesn’t run on any of the platforms I need it to run on.

        First there is Truecrypt which is an on-the-fly disk encryption software. The cool thing is it gets awesome reviews all over the web but the serious bummer is it doesn’t support OSX yet. I plan to start using it in a limited amount here in the next month but can’t really use it too much until the do support aapl. The good news is OSX support is on their roadmap but so is a lot of other things and no dates are given ....

        The next cool piece of software is really a software service is Amazon S3 storage. This looks like the perfect thing to solve my remote backup problem but since my main servers all run OpenBSD there doesn’t seem to be a front-end that I can use. I guess I’m going to have to spend some time this weekend looking at ways of making the two play nicely with each other.

        The piece of software I really need is a good backup strategy (architecture?) for my laptop and my server. I like rdiff-backup to my main server should work OK, but getting my main server backed up to someplace off-site has been one of the big problems. If you, the great lazyweb, have any ideas on how to fix my back-up woes, please leave a comment.

        Well as I think I have written enough now, time to upload it and see if this whole post makes it or not.

1 comment:

Sith Snoopy said...

Getting me thinking I should download MacJournal here...

Oh, so you don't get automated blog spam, you can add this feature where someone has to type in the letters they see in a jpg.

Thanks for the flickr help. :)